Saturday, November 22, 2008

Steve 1, Bambi 0

After being skunked during bow season, I got one on my first day gun hunting. (By the way, this is a rare Steve-post. ) I went out this morning with my pal Kim, we went on some state land by my sister-in-law Tammy's house. There was one other hunter in the area. We got out there just after sun-up. Around 9:30am, the other hunter decided to leave. On his way to his truck, he kicked up six doe that ran right toward Kim. Kim, not having a doe permit, let them pass by him. Between Kim and I, three of them split off and went out into the woods, the other three continued on straight toward me. My heart began to pound as I heard the deer running toward me. I'm pretty sure that they did not see me as they started veering off to my right. I was sitting in a fold-out chair and I quickly decided that I would not be able to shoot right handed. I switched the positions of my hands on the gun and snapped it up into my left shoulder, and just as the lead-deer was jumping over a log, BLAM! She never broke her stride. My first thought was "DANG! How did I miss her!?". After waiting for a few minutes, I went to the spot where I shot her and picked up the blood trail. I didn't even have to walk 100-yards before I found her. Woo-Hoo!!!! Left-handed, on the run and right through the vitals. Maybe I was Wyatt Earp in a former life.

2 comments:

dustypepper said...

Hey Wyatt,

Good Job! Congratulations! Looks yummy! hehe We were gone when you called this morning, Dustin was planting pansies at the Sheraton in Atlantic Beach. He works as a landscaper on the weekends. I think he would rather have been with you out in the woods. Look at all that snow!! Y'all were on the national news yesterday, with all that snow fallin'. We actually saw a couple snowflakes here, too! The kids were screaming, they went outside and said, "Mommy! It smells just like Michigan outside!!" :)

I miss you guys so much, it hurts.

Hugs,

Rebekah

Bethany said...

Wow!! That's exciting Steve!!